Connections Made: A case in point
Midland Pneumatic: Expanding to North America with no marketing plan or budget.
Situation: Midland Pneumatic was a 40+ year-old UK-based manufacturer of corrosion resistant pneumatic products—air preparation, cylinders, directional control valves and accessories—for the industrial and oilfield marketplace.
With global sales of approximately $3 million, they sought expansion into the North America market. At start-up, they had no marketing plan or budget, and were dependent on funds from their sister company for marketing.
Intelligent Solution: We conducted research to determine market size and product potential. The research showed great opportunity for their products and a competitive pricing analysis indicated their products were economically priced. The competitive analysis also gave Midland Pneumatic staff and distributor network the product feature-benefit comparison to assist the selling process.
Upon completion of the market research, we developed a marketing plan for the United States and Canada. Since funding was limited, the plan utilized public relations and literature review advertisements in targeted industry publications to maximize lead generation; a personal letter campaign to key influencers within the core target market; and an exhibit at an oilfield and gas trade exposition.
We created two product line overview brochures and 4 individual product group catalogs. The catalogs incorporated both English and metric units of measurement. To maximize the budget we turned Midland Pneumatic’s photography into product posters for the tradeshow exhibit backdrop.
Results: The campaign generated in excess of 75 product briefs/placements in target audience trade publications, over 1,000 product inquiries and $1,000,000 in sales in a two-year period—a 7:1 ROI. The products briefs added up to over 350 column inches of ad space with an advertising equivalency of over $70,000.
Scope of work:
- Conducting market research and competitive analysis.
- Developing marketing plan and budgets
- Creating sales catalogs and advertisements
- Translating metric units of measurement to English units.
- Writing and dissemination press releases.
- Creating trade show graphics panels
- Modifying and editing CAD drawings.
- Media planning and buying
Image Notes: (Top to bottom.)
- Two 4-page brochures provide an overview of the products available, technical specification ranges and industry applications.
- Mountain Stream Group created four brochures, one for each product category. Each provided photos of the products, technical specifications, CAD drawings with dimensions and ordering information.
Other Case Studies
Ortman Fluid Power