Client Profile: Ortman Fluid Power Is Back!
After a long absence the hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder brand known as Ortman Fluid Power is back.
Their journey began in 1945 when World War II veterans Harold and Nelson Ortman returned home joining their older brother Alva, Carl Speichert and Carter Miller to form Ortman-Miller Machine Company, Inc. located in Hammond, Indiana.
At its inception, Ortman-Miller was a general machine shop making parts for other companies, but in 1948 they began building and selling cylinders for a wide variety of industries. Their first cylinder line was the round-body 101 Series. In 1955, they introduced three square-head, JIC interchangeable cylinder lines—TH, 4K and 4L Series. They expanded their NFPA pneumatic cylinder offering by introducing the 1A Series in 1971. Over the past several years, they’ve broadened their product line with the addition of the AS/ASH and QA Series.
Beyond their standard cylinder lines, they have 3 specialty products: the FA Series valve actuator cylinder, the 7R Series air/oil tank and the 7P Series air/oil booster. If their customers have applications that don’t fit standard product options, they can build custom cylinders.
In 1968, Garlock Industries purchased Ortman-Miller Machine Company and several founders left. The journey took a twist in 1976 when Colt Industries (now known as EnPro Industries) bought Garlock Industries and changed the company name to Ortman Fluid Power. It changed course again in 1997 when they left their Hammond facility, and moved in with Quincy Compressor in Quincy, Illinois. Then came the name change to Quincy Ortman Cylinders in 2004.
The 2010 purchase of Quincy Compressor by Atlas Copco North America LLC began to bring the journey full circle and it was completed in March of 2011 when the brand name became Ortman Fluid Power once again.
Now that’s staying power.